Sakh’Ulutsha offers lifeskills education to young has a presence in four of the nine provinces in South Africa. We are in the Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu Natal and the Western Cape, working mostly in the metros. In partnership with schools, we provide Lifeskills education as part of the Life Orientation curriculum. Our target population are boys and girls aged 10 to 18 years. Using age appropriate, approved curricula we challenge young people to deal with pertinent issues that are relevant to their stage of development.
The services we offer schools and young people include the following;
- Lifeskills education in schools
- Safe places for youth development
- Learner support in schools
- Peer education
- Gender specific programmes
- Career counselling and job clubs
- Sport and other extra-curricular support
- Youth Centre programmes especially computers
- Conflict resolution
- STEM education
- Learner Representative Council / Prefect training
- Volunteer training in various programmes
- Enabling of fellow partners, such as NPOs and local churches.
Special tools that we use in delivering some of these services include;
- Camping – camps have an incredible effect on young people. Young people grow and develop in ways they would not have otherwise, and thus leave an indelible mark in their hearts and minds. The different curricula are used, including physical challenges that reinforce the learnings. We strongly believe that every chid needs to go on a camp at least once in their lives!
- Holiday clubs– these are community based 3 to 5 day interventions where we gather young people during their holidays. Often children are vulnerable during the holidays as they don’t have much to do and parents are away at work. We engage the young people in fun activities while also learning valuable life skills.